Available VM Images and Configurations
The CADES OpenStack allocations can use either CADES-provided images or user-added images for the VM Instances. However, for full compatibility and best reliability, we strongly recommend that customers use one of the CADES images.
The CADES team currently provides two Linux images for use in OpenStack.
- CentOS 7.x
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Features of CADES Images
CADES images have been preconfigured with the following features and modifications.
- The default user has been changed to "cades" and given full sudo privileges.
- A user named "cades-ops" has been added to ensure that the CADES team has adequate access to provide support.
- Limited Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) functionality has been added to enable the use of UCAMS IDs after the initial key-based authentication as the "cades" user. To add your UCAMS ID, simply execute
sudo su - YOUR_UCAMS_IDin the terminal.
- You will not be prompted for a password.
- A local home directory will be created for your user.
- Click here for more detailed instructions for adding UCAMS users to your Instance.
- Yum/Apt repos and the Network Time Protocol (NTP) have been configured to use local ORNL resources.
- The minimum disk size required for each image is 8 GB.
Naming Scheme for CADES Images
The CADES naming scheme is based around a
CADES_$OSRELEASE_v$BUILDDATE_$RELEASE formatting. The
$RELEASE field is always a single digit, with a
1 indicating a production version of an image and a
0 indicating a development version of the image.
While you can run user-provided images in OpenStack, the CADES team strongly recommends that customers use CADES-provided images for best reliability and integration in the ORNL environment. CADES will not provide support for user-provided images. If you still want to run a custom cloud image please contact the CADES team for your request.
Important Notes for Available VM Images
Once an image is launched as a volume, the image is no longer tied to the volume. If the base image is updated, those updates would not propagate to the Instance and vice versa.
Available VM Instance Flavors
CADES Cloud allocations are available in a variety of sizes to fit your needs. The size options can be viewed during VM setup.
If you see that your needs cannot be met by one of our preset configurations, feel free to contact us.