Creating a Personal Endpoint
Personal endpoints are those you create on devices (your personal or work computer) or location (a remote login server) you have access to.
A personal endpoint can be used to transfer data:
- From a personal device to an institutional Data Transfer node
- While Globus provides convenience, performance over wireless connections should not be expected
- From a login, visualization, etc. node to another endpoint
- To a VM (local or public cloud)
- Share your endpoints (and data) with other Globus users
It is generally not necessary to run the Globus personal client on the CADES DTNs, as activating the "OR CADES" endpoint provides access to the most commonly used filesystems.
📝 Note: On personal devices, our ORNL cloud VMs, you will need request a firewall exception for the Globus Personal Client. This is already in place for ORNL workstations. When using the personal client on VMs, or external institutions, see the firewall details on the Globus site and configure your VM's security groups accordingly.
Setting up a Personal Endpoint (Graphical / Local)
- Login to globus.org
- Choose the "Endpoints" button from the left panel, then
+ Create New endpoint(top of screen) and
Globus Connect Personal
- This should take you here
- Choose a descriptive name for your endpoint display name and click
Generate Setup Key.
- Please refrain from using 'cades' in your endpoint name, to lessen confusion with the institutionally-managed endpoints.
- Copy the Setup Key. You will paste this into the software during setup.
Download and install the client onto your personal (or ORNL-owned, or remote) computer using the provided links.
- Additional OS-specific details are available on the GCP Page
- Click on the name of your operating system to obtain detailed instructions for installing the client and setting up the Endpoint.
Once the client is installed, launch the program. You will be prompted to paste your setup key.
📝 Note: The Globus Personal Endpoint Client may produce errors if you are connected to the ORNL network via VPN.
Use the Globus web interface or the command line interface to search for your new endpoint using the name you provided during endpoint creation.
Setting up a Personal Endpoint (Text / Remote)
When running a Globus Connect Personal endpoint on a remote system it may be possible to X-forward the GCP client.
However, it is generally better to install and use the client in text mode to allow it to continue functioning when you disconnect your SSH session.
When running the GCP client in txt mode you provide the setup key generated within globus.org (see above.)
An example text session, configuring and starting the personal endpoint:
# Recommended to perform following actions in a screen or tmux session # so the GCP client will continue listening after your SSH session ends screen -S gcp wget https://downloads.globus.org/globus-connect-personal/linux/stable/globusconnectpersonal-latest.tgz tar xvf globusconnectpersonal-latest.tgz cd globusconnectpersonal-2.*/ ./globusconnect --help ./globusconnect -setup <your-generated-setup-key> ./globusconnect -start # Disconnect from screen: ctrl-a, then ctrl-d # Reconnect to screen: screen -r gcp
- Use the Globus web interface or the command line interface to search for your new endpoint using the name you provided during endpoint creation.