Nodes belonging to the birthright, chem, cnms, ccsd, bsd, mstd, ntrc, nucphys,
virtues, theory, qmc, and ccsi groups have now moved to the Slurm scheduler
and can be accessed from
See the Running Jobs documentation for more details.
Graphical Login Access to the SHPC Condos
IMPORTANT NOTICE: This service is still in the pilot phase and may be subject to unannounced outages and changes. We appreciate your patience and feedback as we work to finalize this new offering.
The Graphical Login Service provides fast and secure access to a Linux desktop environment within the CADES SHPC Condos. This service is recommended for users that need to run visualization tools or other graphical applications on the cluster without installing an X11 server on their local desktop. This service also works better at displaying OpenGL applications than traditional X11 forwarding. Users that only require terminal (text based) access to the cluster are advised to connect with ssh instead.
- Request access to the CADES SHPC Condos and wait for it to be approved
- Choose from one the following options for using the required ThinLinc client
How to Connect
Open Protection Zone
- Launch the ThinLinc client
Configure the connection settings
- Set the
- Set the
Usernameto your UCAMS/XCAMS ID
Passwordto your password
- Set the
- Click the Screen tab
- Select an appropriate screen resolution for your display
- Uncheck Full screen mode
- Uncheck Enable full screen mode over all monitors
Moderate Protection Zone
Using the Desktop Environment
Open a Terminal
- Click Applications in the top menu bar
- Click System Tools
- Click MATE Terminal
Disconnect From Your Session
If you want to keep your session running and resume it later, you should close the ThinLinc window to disconnect. Please note that if CADES experiences an outage or if this server has to be restarted for any reason, you will loose your session and any unsaved work.
- Close the ThinLinc window to disconnect from your session
- Connect as you normally would to resume your session
End Your Session
If you are finished with your ThinLinc session and do not wish to resume it later, it is recommended that you logout.
- Click System in the top menu bar
- Click Log Out
- Confirm that you are ready to log out
- Full screen mode does not work correctly (there is no way to switch back to the Mac desktop)
- The client does not allow multiple sessions